Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Can You Freeze Guinness?

"Can you freeze Guinness?" This question reminds me of the quip that mountain bikers and skiers often make when someone asks if they can jump off of this or that obstacle: "Sure, I can jump off of anything. Landing is another matter." In this case, the response - beyond "Why would you want to?" - is "Yes, but what happens when you thaw it?"

When we got back from the supermarket the other day, my son helped me put away the groceries. Space cadet that he can sometimes be, he managed to stow the four-pack of Guinness in the freezer. I discovered this awful truth several days later when I went into the basement hunting for one. I let them thaw in an old kitty litter tray, just in case, and was surprised to see that they had not burst. Tonight I opened one. Without tasting it side-by-side with one that had not been frozen - no point in torturing ourselves by mentioning proper draft - I can't say that there was no difference. I can say, though, that the previously frozen Guinness was perfectly drinkable. Who would have thought?

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I have become somewhat of an authority on guinness with my friends and anyone really who knows me (probably bcause i have drank so much of it since i was around 14) and i often freeze them and defrost them. you can chill them warm them, chill them again etc and they're fine. slightly different tastes and textures each time you do this. I must say though i have only ever frozen then defrosted a max of twice just in case.

i like them at room temperature, straight out of a draught can with the widget.

all this nonsense from 'irish' claiming only to drink chilled - bollocks. I'm irish and I have never met anyone who knows more about drinking guinness than me. I had my first can at 4 and am nearly 30 now.

alot of irish try and be snobby about guinness - truth be told most know diddly shitt about it. you can almost do anything to guinness and it still tastes great.

thanks for posting :)